We're keeping a list of sayings and phrases, so it's time for your second lesson of Kiwi words. Feel free to insert as many as possible into your every day life.
Wee: tiny, a little bit (used at least once every 5 sentences by your average Kiwi)
Look at that wee car...isn't it cute?
Just give me a wee minute, and I'll be right back.
Keen: interested, willing
I'd been keen to attend that movie with you.
Heaps: lots, plenty, enough
We've got heaps of volunteers for this event.
Need anymore posters? Nope, we've got heaps.
Taking the piss: mocking, making fun of
That comedian totally took the piss out of the Prime Minister.
Box of fluffy ducks: everything is fine (but starting to be used sarcastically)
The event last night was a box of fluffy ducks - it went so well!
Today's been a box of fluffy ducks. (on a bad day, dripping with sarcasm)
Turns to custard: goes badly
If the weather turns to custard, we'll just head home.
Pashing: passionate kissing or kissing with tongue
Look at those two pashing! Get a room!
Box of birds: good
Is Dan still sick? Nope, he's a box of birds.
Good as gold: sounds fine, great, all set
Can you pick me up at 8pm? Yup, good as gold.
Cheap as chips: very inexpensive like fish n' chips are
Can you believe this sale? These shoes are cheap as chips!
She'll be right: it will be fine, it will be okay
Why is the car making that sound? Don't worry, she'll be right.
Sweet as: cool, anything pretty great
Actual conversation at Harvey Norman
(a combo of Best Buy & Bed Bath & Beyond - yeah, I know)
HN Employee: Can I help you find anything?
Todd: Nope, I'm all set.
HN Employee: Sweet as.
Todd: (quizzical look...thinking 'sweet as' what?)
Actual sports commentary (cycling)
Commentator A: Wasn't her release from the starting gate smooth?
Commentator B: It was sweet as.
Hot as, Cute as, Full as: while Sweet as is the most popular saying, it has birthed many more sayings
Hot as = really hot (temperature)
That coffee is hot as. I burned my tongue.
Cute as = really cute (like a baby)
Awww, that baby is cute as!
Full as = really full (like your stomach)
I am full as after eating all that.
Long drop: an outhouse
HA HA HA HA!!! No sentence needed
Tuesday, October 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
These are so great! Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDelete