Sunday, June 5, 2011

Homage to Banksy & the Graffiti Guy

The idea  to commit these crimes started poppping up a few months ago.  By our last night in Dunedin, we were fully committed to the criminal lifestyle and had recruited others for our crime cartel.

As you know, I've been following a little graffiti guy around town.  He decorates nooks, corners, walls, and electrical boxes all around Dunedin.  I call him the Little Graffiti Guy and have found him 58 times in Dunedin and once in Wellington.  During my time ushering for the Otago Festival of the Arts, I met someone who know the creator of the Graffiti Guy who confirmed much of what I had surmised about the graffiti itself.   He also told me that the artist had since moved to Wellington, hence the surprise find there.

After watching Exit Through the Gift Shop at the International Film Festival, there's been a deep down desire to Banksy-fy my life, and my crime cartel (before they were officially recruited for it) encouraged me on.

The plan: Part I - create a graffiti stencil and then put it up around Dunedin as an homage to Dunedin, the Graffiti Guy, and Banksy.  The stencil shows a curly haired with one arm around the Graffiti Guy and one arm waving.  Part II - stencil at tnight the night before leaving the country so no deportation necessary if caught.

Stencil creation went well, and practice was taken in the backyard.
 
Later on that evening, a list was made of possible locations, supplies were collected (gloves, paint, stencil, torch (aka flashlight), site list, accomplices), and we were off. The faces of the Banksy wannabees have been blurred out to protect their true identity.
 
 
 
 
For those of you still in Dunedin, happy hunting.  There are 14.

No comments:

Post a Comment